Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Preparing for Easter

We have been talking alot lately about the meaning of Easter. That's not an easy feat for two boys whose language and comprehension skills are far from complete. Christmas... now THAT was an easy holiday to explain. They know who Jesus is. And they know (dream about, talk constantly about, and ask daily about) birthdays. So, Jesus' birthday... easy explanation, at least on an elementary level. Easter has been more of a struggle for all of us. They don't know what sin is. They have never experienced, and I don't even think I've used the word, death before. So, I've been attempting to put the Easter story in a way that makes 3 year old sense. And like I said, I have struggled quite a bit. Last night, though, Quinn and Colby explained Easter to their Daddy, and it was awfully cute....

"Colby was bad, and Jesus took his spanking. He got very hurt and sad. Jesus cried. But on Easter the angel said 'He is not here! He is risen!'" This from Colby. Then Quinn said " And Jesus wasn't in the cave anymore!" Only... it was much harder to understand than that, with bits of gibberish here and there. But that was the geist of what they were saying. And Colby kept pointing to himself and saying "for me! For Colby!" So, maybe.... they understand enough for now....

No comments: