Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just Asking

I noticed a half-empty box of graham crackers on the kitchen cupboard, and little boys scurrying up the stairs. I don't mind them having a cracker now and then, but they need to ask, and they need to eat it in the kitchen. I called upstairs to them.

M: "Little boys! You need to come downstairs right now!"
Q & C: "WHY?"
M: "Did you take something you weren't supposed to?"
No answer.
M: "Come on downstairs. It's time to read a book." I figured if they were getting into mischief, it was time to direct them to something productive.
Q: (yelling down the stairs) "BOOK? Or SPANKING? I didn't hear you!"
M: "Why? Did you do something that deserves a spanking?"
Q: "No. I was just asking."

The boys slowly came downstairs and shot me a guilty glance.
Q: "I didn't take anything mom. I didn't eat a cracker."

Yeah right.

No comments: