Monday, February 27, 2017

Unpleasant Dinner Conversation

The boys, as they do everysinglenight complain about what I made them for dinner.  Chicken stir-fry and rice apparently has entirely too many vegetables for them. 

Q:"I just want to eat Ramen.  Didn't you eat Top Ramen every day in college?"
Mom: "Pretty much, yes.  And bagels. And Hamburger Helper.  It was not a healthy diet."
Dad: "But it sure kept you skinny!"
Mom: "And had absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever."
C: "I will eat ramen and bagels for every meal.  Give me that."
Q: "What did Dad eat during college?"
Mom: "He lived on the farm here in Chassell.  He ate well, I'm sure.  He cooked for himself every night."
Q: "WAIT.  Dad lived here in Chassell when he was in college?"
Dad: "Uhhhh.... yeah.  I went to Michigan Tech, remember?"
Q: "Really?"
Mom: "Seriously?  How can you not know that he went to Tech?"
Q: "I mean, I knew that, but I didn't know that.  Weird.  You went to college here, and then moved all the way out to Montana, and then moved right back here????  WHY would you do that?"
Mom: "Because he fell in love with a girl!"
C: "Who?  Jessica?"
Mom: "Yeah.  Someone named Jessica.  NO ME, goofball."
Q: "Oh that's right.  You guys met online."
Mom: "How do you know that?"
Q: "You told us."
Dad: "We did?  And you listened?"
C: "So how did that work?  Did you just google her up?"
Mom: "The internet was new back then.  I think it was before Google even, really."
Q: "So dad drove ALL THE WAY out to Montana, just to meet a complete stranger?!?!/!"
Mom: "Well, we'd been talking on the phone and emailing and stuff.  And writing letters back and forth for months before that.  We weren't complete strangers."
Q: "Dad, I can't believe you took the risk!"
Mom: "The risk??? What about me?"
C: "But Dad was the one who drove out there!"
Mom: "He flew.  He didn't drive.  And it was Washington, not Montana.  Montana was after we were married."
Q: "So he paid like $1000 dollars to fly out to meet a STRANGER????"
Mom: "No.  Grandpa gave him a frequent flyer ticket for free."
C: "Still - that was a complete risk, Dad.  How did you know she wasn't a freak?"
Mom: "Uhhh... hello!  He's a big, strong man.  I was the young, single female.  He wanted us to meet in the middle, but I wouldn't.  I would only meet him on my turf, or not at all."
Q: "Still.  I can't believe he'd take a risk like that.  You could've been a psycho, for all he knew."
Mom: "Thanks.  I knew he  wasn't a psycho, because you can't fake engineer talk."
C: "But you can totally fake being a PT.  He had no idea.  So risky."
Mom: "And you know the first thing we did?"
Q: "Made out?"
Mom: "NO!!  We had just met!  Of course not!  I took him to meet my parents!"
C: "Uh, hello stranger at the airport.  Come meet my Mom and Dad."
Mom: "And the first thing grandma asked him was 'is your name Ted Bundy?'  They were very nervous about us meeting online, understandably."
Q: "I guess!  Can you imagine?  I'm going to go online and go meet some girl from California now, and go marry her."
Mom: "No, you're not.  Your parents won't let you."
Q: "This is just so sketchy.  You guys' relationship is sooooooooooooooooooooo sketchy!"
Mom: "Well, we've been married almost 20 years now, so obviously we did something right.  And you should ben pretty glad, otherwise YOU wouldn't be here!"
Q&C: "Just sketchy."

(sigh).  They're right though.  If my boys did what their parents did... I would think it was sketchy, too.  And totally forbid it.  How did a conversation about stir fry veer so far in the wrong direction again??????


No comments: