Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lent

The boys have given up T.V. on weekdays for Lent. And all candy. If I was a good mother to begin with, this would already have been our M.O., but... it is what it is. So far, it's going GREAT. I'm astounded. They haven't complained about the lack of TV so far this week, as I just say "remember, you gave it up for Lent?" when they ask. Instead we've been playing games as a family in the evening, or dancing in the living room to Pandora. So here it is, now the weekend, and instead of getting up and immediately going downstairs to watch cartoons, the boys decided to read their Hot Wheel books, and then build the tracks in the illustrations. Haven't even ASKED for cartoons once. Playing productively, constructively. Holy Cow. And the grumpiness factor has decreased considerably, I think. Cartoons always make them crabby for some reason!

As a side note, Quinn DID ask to eat some candy this past week. When I reminded him that he gave it up until Easter he said "I don't remember agreeing to CANDY. TV, yes. Not candy. I didn't say that. YOU said that. Oh, all right. As long as I still get to eat Pop Tarts."

1 comment:

gardnersixpack said...

It's a proven fact that TV does that to you! I'm proud of you Mom...I think with the lack of those two you will see noticeable changes in your boys demeanor.