Saturday, December 11, 2010

Science

Colby found my old Pathology book from physical therapy school.  He pulled it out, announced he was learning about "doctors", and proceeded to read it.  There were lots of "EWWW", and "what's THAT?" comments.  Then he asked me how the people that wrote the book knew so much about what was INSIDE of people.

Mom: "Well, Colby... sometimes they open people up to look inside them and find out.  I did it in PT school. "
Colby: "WHAT?  They cut them OPEN????  Were they dead????"
Mom: "Yes, after they were dead.  Some people donate their  bodies to science, so that we can learn from them.  And after we are done learning, we return them to their families to be buried."
Colby internalized this for a second, and then said gravely "Mom, don't EVER let anybody cut me up after I'm dead."
Mom: "OK Colby.  And for the record, I don't want my body donated to science either."

No comments: