Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Political Dreams

Colby: "Mom, when I grow up, I want to be the government."
Mom: "You want to work for the government?"
Colby: "No.  I want to BE the government, and make all the rules."
Mom: "So, you want to collect the people's money, and then allocate it to roads, schools, parks and stuff?"
Colby: "NO.  I want to make all the rules. And take all the money.  I don't want to give it back to the people."
Mom: "So, you want to be a tyrant."
Colby: "Yes.  I want to be a tyrant." 


Colby: "Mom, if I made all the rules, I would make everything free."
Mom: "So, you'll be a communist?"
Colby: "Well, I would just make nothing cost.  There would be no money. Everything in the stores would be free."
Mom: "So, how would you make sure that everyone got what they need?"
Colby: "They would just trade for it."
Mom: "Ahhhh.  A trade and barter system.  What if you had something that someone wanted, but they didn't have something you wanted?"
Colby: "Well, they could give me a little piece of gold then."
Mom: "THAT'S money."

In the course of one car ride, we went through the entire history of commerce, from hunter/gatherer to barter/trade, to gold standard, to paper money worth... well, essentially nothing.  MAN, I've got to be up to speed on any subject at a moments notice with these kids.

And it's nice to know that Colby's an aspiring tyrant.  Makes a mother proud.

No comments: