Saturday, December 3, 2011

The boys came home from church today, and I asked them to change their clothes, so we could go out into the woods and cut down a Christmas tree. Quinn (after no less than SIX reminders to do this one simple chore) finally came down with clothes changed.  In shorts and a T-shirt.

Mom: "Quinn, it's 23 degrees outside.  You can't wear shorts and a T-shirt."
Quinn: "Mom!  I'll wear a coat!  It's not that cold out there!"
Mom: "Go change.  Put on sweats and a sweatshirt."

(a few minutes past)
Quinn: "There, Mom, I did it.  See?  I put these over my shorts and T-shirts."
Mom: "All you did was put on a different pair of church pants.  I want you to wear sweats or jeans.  We're going out into the woods!"
Quinn: "Why can't I wear these pants?"
Mom: "Because they're church pants!!!"
Quinn: "Give me a different reason besides that they're church pants."
Mom: "How about 'I'm your mother and I SAID SO."
Quinn: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... that's not a good reason either."

Mom: "Go. Upstairs. And. Change.  NOW.  Pretend that I'm picking out what you're wearing.  Wear what you think I'd pick out for you."

After the third full outfit change, Quinn FINALLY came down appropriately dressed for the weather and activity.    Okay.  That only took exactly 23 minutes.

Now to work on the next boy, who hasn't even started yet.

No comments: