The Art of Sound
When I was younger, I was obsessed with a game called "Geometry Dash". Geometry Dash was a rhythm-based game where you would time your jumps to the beats of electronic music songs. Each level was a different song, with a harder difficulty. This game was insanely difficult. Most of this stems from the fact that if you die, you start back to the beginning of the level. Every time I went on car trips with my parents, I would play that game. They would hear the same songs and the same death sound effect over and over again. They got tired of these songs quickly. However, I loved these songs. Up to this point, I had no idea what electronic music was, and hearing it for the first time was amazing. I wanted to learn as much as I could about it.
The concept of synthesizing sounds with just a simple computer has always baffled me, when I was younger and to this day. Anything you can imagine can come to fruition with just a bit of sound design and creativity. It's like painting with sound. You start with a basic design, then grow from there. With a synthesizer, instead of a shape, there is a soundwave. With that regular soundwave, you evolve into something pristine and unique. An ordinary square wave can be molded into a sweeping and luscious pad with shifting timbres that change from a deep muffled moan to a symphony of harsh and raw frequencies. No conventional instrument can recreate this. This is the beauty of electronic music. You have unlimited possibilities on what you can or cannot do. With synths, you invent the instrument that is unique to you and your sound. Sometimes I will spend hours on just one individual synth patch, and I never get dull of it. Very few people in my area understand much about the production of electronic music. I had to learn it by myself using the internet.
It took me years of hard work and dedication to get me where I am today. When I first started, I had no idea what I was doing. I uploaded my first song to SoundCloud in the 6th grade. I was so excited. I thought I was going to become famous instantly, a superstar in a matter of hours. As you might guess, that didn't happen. This song was terrible, and it barely got over 3 views. This made me upset. I was ready to quit, right then and there; my career as a musician was over. But then I heard a notification. "New Follower!" it read. That was all the motivation I needed. I sprang to my feet, sprinted to my "studio", and got to work. If I han'dt done that back then, I wouldn't be writing this essay today. From that point, I kept on improving slow. I got better.
Currently, my most viewed song has over a thousand views, I have gotten to the top 50 on Spinn' Records Talentpool, and I still make music to this day. THe past 4 years have been a long and egregious journey, but I am glad for pursuing this route. This is only the beginning, however. I have only scratched the surface on what I could learn. Sometimes this seems intimidating for people, including myself at times. Nevertheless, I still strive to explore everything that music production has to offer. Music production is what I am most passionate about; both the creative and technical sides. THis is what I want to do for the rest of my life, and you are key to jump-starting my career. THank you for your time. I hope it wasn't too long!
No comments:
Post a Comment