Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Called On the Carpet

My kids called me out on the "living love" thing today, which is funny, because I was just talking to my sister about this very topic.  See, the single purpose of today was to clean the boys' bedroom.  There was not another  task on the agenda for the entire day for two short men.  The boys were in their room from 10 am til 5:30 pm, leaving only for lunch, and the room STILL did not get clean.  GRRRRRRR.  As I tucked them in tonight, I have to admit that I was more than a little gruff.  I told them that I didn't want to see their faces tomorrow until that room was spotless.   There would be no breakfast until it was finally CLEAN.

Colby looked at me and said "Mom, do you even love us?"
Mom:  "Of course, I do, Colby."
Quinn: "Well, you're sure not acting like it right now."
Mom (speechless)
UGH. SHEESH. Mom the SCHMUCK. 
I sometimes forget to see myself through little eyes.  The view is not always pretty.  I really needed that call on the carpet. 
I immediately softened my tone, and switched tactics.  After prayers, tuck-ins and kisses,  I promised ice cream for breakfast if I see a clean room before noon.  The yelling and threatening obviously failed miserably for the length of an entire business day.  We'll see what a little soft tone and positive reinforcement does.  At the very least it will make me feel less Mommy-Dearest.

No comments: