The whole conversation started on our way to Vacation Bible School, when we saw a Mama and baby deer. Quinn asked why some people hunt deer.
Mom: "Some people eat them."
Quinn: "They DO? Why?"
Mom: "They think deer meat tastes good."
Colby: "Like pigs."
Quinn: "And cows. And turkeys. And chickens."
Mom: "Yup."
Colby: "But first they have to cut the chicken open to get the eggs out, before we eat them."
Mom: "No. There are laying hens that lay eggs. And then there are eating hens"
Colby: "Well, then, how does the egg get out of the chicken, if it isn't cut out?"
In my head I said "they kinda poop them out", but I didn't want to go there with my boys. They'd never eat an egg again. I didn't answer the question, and luckily, they had a different question right afterwards, and forgot the first.
Quinn: "If a chicken sits on an egg long enough, a baby chick will hatch out of it."
Colby: "So, we're eating baby chickens when we eat eggs?"
Mom: "No. There's only a baby chicken in it if there's a rooster around. Otherwise, it's just a plain ol' egg."
Quinn: "What does the rooster have to do with it?"
Mom: "Well, if there's a mommy and a daddy, then the baby chick will be born."
Quinn: "I don't get it. How does the egg know if there's a dad around?"
Mom: "UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Well.......... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ the baby chick is a little bit of the mommy and a little bit of the daddy. So the daddy has to leave a little bit of himself in the egg, and then the chick is born." I was kind of proud of this vague but accurate answer. But the stinker would NOT let it go.
Quinn: "So, what part of the daddy does he leave behind????"
Mom: "UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
Quinn (relieving me of a very uncomfortable moment): "I KNOW!! He takes one of his feathers and tickles the egg with it, and it turns into a chick!!!"
Colby: "HEEE HEEE HEEE"
I let it lie. I'm not mentally prepared to refute that at this point.
Reagan: "Mommy. Daddy. Egg. Chicken." Oh great. Even the two year old is learning the birds and the bees.
Quinn: "How'd we get on all this chicken talk anyway???"
Mom: "I DON'T KNOW!"
Quinn: "I think Colby started it!"
Mom: "Yup. Colby, I think you did."
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment