Saturday, September 3, 2011

Death-defying Beauty

Last night at grandma and grandpa's house, Quinn and Colby decided to do a little tree climbing.  I didn't notice until someone told Rob, who yelled "Quinn! Colby!...... MOM!"  As in.... Mom, go keep your sons from killing themselves. 

I glanced over, and didn't see them at first.  I thought they were in the neighbor's yard.   Until my nephew told me to look up.  "They're at the top of that tree.  The VERY top."  As in 35 feet up.  Oh good grief.

Mom: "Boys!  You come down from there RIGHT NOW. "
Quinn and Colby: "WHY???"
Mom: "Because you can fall.  That's way too high."
Quinn: "Mom, we're okay!  We're not going to fall!"
Colby: "The view is BEAUTIFUL up here!  I can see all the way to Copper Harbor!"
Mom: "The view is beautiful from six feet.  Get down here."

UGH.  It takes constant vigilance to keep the boys from attempting to kill themselves.  When does self-preservation kick in?  Because as much as I don't want them to grow up fast, I can't WAIT for that part of their development to start.


No comments: