Sunday, September 18, 2011

What My Kids Teach Me

Why is it, even though I am the parent, it seems like I learn far more from my kids than they do from me???  Tonight, I was upstairs watching Nova with the kids for a family movie night.  Reagan started getting antsy, so I took her downstairs and put her to bed.  Then I stopped to pick up a few clothes, check my email, and look up a bank statement on the computer.  Then I went back upstairs to kiss the boys goodnight, as Rob had put them into bed.

Quinn: "Mom, where'd you go?"
Me: "I went to put Reagan to bed."
Quinn: "But you didn't come back up afterwards."
Me: "I'm sorry.  I had to check on a few things."
Colby: "Mom, you should check email after we're in bed."
Me: "You're right.  I'm sorry."
Quinn: "Mom, why do you work so much?  That's all you do.  Work work work.  Sometimes you just need to RELAX."
Me: "Well, there's alot to get done around this house.  Someone needs to cook dinner, and clean, and do the laundry.  It's stuff that needs to get done."
Colby: "That's what LABOR DAY is for.  To labor.  Otherwise, you should just have fun."  OOOOH, how I WISH that were true, Colbyman!!!
Quinn: "Mom, spend time with us first.  Have fun.  THEN do your work afterwards."

It almost made me tear up, hearing my boys talk like this.  They're right.  I so rarely just stop and PLAY with them.  It's always do this, go there, get that done, nag nag nag.  They're growing up so fast, and I get so overwhelmed with the day to day junk.  I need to prioritize the most important things FIRST, and let everything else fall into place.  And right now, spending time with the kids - REALLY spending time with them, not just "around" them - should be my top priority.  Because their little boyhood is ending faster than the speed of lightning, and it will soon be replaced by teenagers who want absolutely nothing to do with their mama.

Why is that song "Cat's in the cradle" playing in my head right now?????

No comments: