Middle school is going to do me in. One of my sixth graders (to be left un-named) actually got into the car for school this morning without shoes. We were a good mile from home, and he was casually playing the Rubik's cube in the back seat when I asked him why he hadn't put his shoes on yet.
"I can't find them". Like....No big deal. SERIOUSLY ?!?!?!? Stop the car, search the back seat, discover that there was not a pair of matching shoes to be found (two unmatched shoes floating around, but not a pair).
"It's okay, Mom. I'll wear two different shoes to school." No. No you will not. So we turned around, drove all the way home, found some shoes, and were all subsequently "tardy" to our respective destinations.
Then, tonight, after I get home at 7 pm after an 11 hour work day, I discover that no one has done their homework. And all three kids have homework. I check PowerSchool, and find out that the same shoe-forgetting child is flunking every single class, because he hasn't turned in any of his homework yet. Even though he's done it all. And he's SHOCKED! SHOCKED because he did the work! And the information wasn't transmitted by ESP to his teachers! A quick check of his backpack found all the missing homework crumpled up in tiny balls under four books and an uneaten lunch. We'll rely on the mercy of teachers to see if he can still get credit for it or not. I have my doubts.
At 9:30 pm tonight, after 2 solid hours of homework, wherein Mom had to nearly physically SIT on both boys to get them to focus, Quinn pops off with the following.
"Mom, we really need to set aside some time earlier in the day to do our homework. This is just too late at night, and I can't think well because I'm tired."
Well, isn't THAT a great idea.
"We need a homework schedule. Let's say 5:00 to 6:00 pm every night. Right before dinner. Gives us a chance to relax a bit after school, but we're still fresh."
Another great idea, Quinn. Does this new-found organization require Mom to nag incessantly over and over again to get homework to start? Or sit there with you continuously to make sure you don't get up to stare at yourself in the mirror? Or play footsies with your brother? Or go to the bathroom twelve times? Can we assume it will just happen spontaneously? Curious minds want to know.
((sigh))
From the time I got home, until right this moment - a full three hours - my evening was spent preparing three children for school tomorrow. Homework, emailing teachers, reviewing spelling words, packing backpacks, making lunches, scrounging the laundry for loose coins for a first grader's "Everyday Math" assignment.
I'm going to ((sigh)) again.
I really don't know if I'm going to survive this school year.
Monday, September 28, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment