Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Motherly Dream Realized

Ever since I was a little girl, it has been a dream of mine to read the Chronicles of Narnia to my children. Since the moment I read them myself in the fourth grade, I have imagined snuggling up in bed with my future offspring, and sharing the magic. At five years old, I really thought the boys were too young yet for such things. But Quinn brought "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" to me last week, and insisted on me reading it to them. They were initially concerned that there weren't any pictures, and when I said that the pictures in their head would be far better than anything anyone could draw, they seemed to accept that. We've been reading a chapter a night, and they are really, truly listening! Since we're near the end of the book, I let them watch the movie tonight. It just meant so much to me to have them say "Oh, next they're going to meet the beavers!" Or... "That must be Aslan!". Just so so cool. And Colby even noticed a few times where the movie strayed from the book. He said at the beginning "Wait! There were no airplane pictures in my head!" when the movie showed a bombing raid over London that never happened in the book. The fact that I get to share books that meant so much to me as a little girl with MY children just... fufills me. Really.

Other signs of awakening brain cells lately...
Colby was counting at the piano, head down over the keys, so I thought the boys were playing hide and seek. When I asked him what he was doing, he said "I'm counting the keys... 86, 87, 88!" I was incredibly impressed that he counted accurately that high, without losing track. There are, indeed, 88 keys on my piano!

Quinn wrote out a "treasure map" today, and spelled out on his own "bot" (boat), "pat" and "track" (I helped him add the last 'K', but otherwise, he sounded the rest out himself). Both boys have been spelling words they hear on a daily basis. Today they also sounded out and spelled "sno man".

Just a whole new realm for us, this ability to read and write that is emerging. And I think it's so cool!!!

No comments: