Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Playing Favorites

Last weekend, Colby was firmly and appropriately disciplined by his father for a serious infraction of the rules (purposely peeing on the carpet. YIKES.) The next day, Colby confided in me that Dad scared him, and he no longer liked him. That was hard for Rob to hear. He's been trying to make amends ever since. Colby's had none of it. At dinner, Rob asked the boys who they liked better - mom or dad.
Colby: "Mom"
Quinn: "I like both". Good answer, suck up.
Rob: "Colby, do you like Daddy?"
Colby: "Uhhhh, I don't know."
Rob: "If I gave you a chocolate pop-tart, would you like daddy?"
Colby: "I don't like chocolate pop-tarts." Tough customer.
Rob: "How bout a chocolate covered cherry?"
Colby: "I've never had one of those before. How about a chocolate covered cherry pop-tart?"
Rob: "That'd make you like me?"
Colby: "Yup".

Wow. He's a tough negotiator, this kid. Problem is, chocolate-covered cherry pop-tarts don't exist, so Dad's out of luck. ;) Rob just informed me that they can be "handmade" by adding Hersehy's syrup to a cherry pop tart.

ADDENDUM: It's 15 minutes later, and Dad's spent that entire time rough housing with the boys on the living room floor, after mom tried to get everyone to brush their teeth and get to bed. Colby just ran up to me and said "MOM! I like DAD!" Sure. NOW he likes Dad :)

No comments: