Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Sleep Study
We had a doctor come talk to us last month at our Mothers of Preschoolers group about sleep disorders in children. This doctor mentioned that it is NEVER normal for a small child to snore. Really? Colby has snored since an infant! He cited statistics describing children with poor quality sleep having issues with attention, focus, weight gain, and incontinence at night. HMMMM. Sound like anyone I know?? Anways, I figured it was worth checking out, to see if Colby was suffering from childhood sleep apnea. His sleep study was last night, and I have to say, he hasn't had a WORSE night's sleep in a long time. Colby was such a good boy - it took almost an hour to hook him up, and he sat there patiently, not freaking out in the least when they were strapping sensors all over his body (head, face, ears, finger, chest, legs....). Wires everywhere (probably at least 30!), and every time he turned over once asleep (which was frequent), one or another of them came off. Necessitating the sleep tech to come in, wake him up, and put it back on. Four to five times an HOUR. And, just because we were there in a sleep lab supposedly monitoring for such things... Colby didn't snore. Well, once for a few minutes, but that was it. And I assure you, I was awake most of the night listening for it. These people are probably thinking "What a hypochondriac that mother is"! We'll get official results in a few weeks. I sure hope we didn't waste everyone's time. Not that I hope he HAS sleep apnea. But if he DID, it'd sure be an easy fix by taking out his tonsils.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment