Tuesday, June 21, 2011

First Piano Lessons

I had tried to teach the boys piano this past school year.  It was fun, but they struggled GREATLY to listen to their mother.  So, today, we brought in the professionals.  My boys are officially piano students.  I told them that if they both stuck with piano for 4 years, they would be able to continue on with whatever musical instrument they chose.  Quinn has already chosen the mandolin.  Very practical choice, Quinn.  Mandolins are in high demand, and march very well in parades and at football games.  Colby hasn't yet decided, but then... he has four years to ponder.  He was leaning towards the banjo earlier today, because, as he put it, it's a "drum AND a guitar".  Okay then.

I overheard Quinn during his lesson say over and over again "I already KNOW how to play the piano."  His teacher was extremely patient, and would just say "Okay, but then let's just review.  What are the numbers of the fingers of the right hand?"  Which of course he couldn't answer, because he never listened to his mother back when she was trying to teach him the piano.  UGH.  Great.  At one point, the teacher stuck her head out of the room, and asked me how much trouble she would be in if she gave the boys different things to practice.  Because Colby had apparently remembered a little more than Quinn had, despite Quinn's overconfidence ;).  Fine by me. 

I'm excited that the boys will get some one on one time with an adult.  I'm excited that they're beginning their musical careers.  I'm excited that they'll be working on those little hand muscles for fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination.  It's all good.  It's all good!

No comments: