Thursday, June 30, 2011

Movies with Boys

Last night, I took Quinn and Colby to a movie theater for a free showing of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".   Great movie.... which took LOTS of explaining to little boys.  It was a constant barrage of questions thorughout the whole.thing.  I was a shushing maniac, for two straight hours, because my boys are incapable of whispering.  Therefore... loud questions every 30 seconds or so  (even spaced that long apart?  No, I guess not). 

"Mom, why's he named Indiana Jones?  Which one is Indiana Jones?  Is that a cobra or an asp?  Why are they shooting poison darts at him? Why's there a big rock coming after him?  What's that golden thing?  Will God really tear you apart if you open the ark?  Where are the 10 commandments?  Why's there a spider looking thing on that red flag?  Why do the Nazi's want the ark?"...... on and on and on.  A virtual play by play, asking questions about every last thing on screen.  And I was in the middle.  So a boy on one side would ask a loud question, I would whisper the answer in his ear, then the boy on the other side would ask the same question.  The guy in front of us acctually turned around and said "Why bother shushing them at this point? "  I suppose that was just as annoying as the questions themselves. 

I was worried the movie would be a little too scary, and I was right.   Colby didn't even pretend to go to bed before he ended up with me in my bed.  I tucked him in, came downstairs, and within 30 seconds he was sitting crosslegged outside my bedroom door. 

"Crawl on in, buddy.  It's okay. "
"It wasn't all THAT scary, Mom, except the last part where everybody melted."
"You know it's make believe, right?  It's not true?"
"Yeah."  And then he fell immediately asleep, my arm firmly wrapped around him, his head on my shoulder. 

No comments: